Food Safety Check List for Food Booths at Vaisakhi
- Set up hand washing at your booth. Bring 5 gallons (25 liters) of warm water. Dispose of wastewater into a sanitary sewer only (toilet or laundry sink). Always wash your hands before starting work and after using the toilet. Wet your hands, lather with soap for 20 seconds, rinse and dry with paper towel.
- Keep perishable foods such as dairy products at 4°C (40°F) or less. Use a cooler with ice or a refrigerator.
- Keep cooked foods such as samosas, pakoras, and chick peas at 60°C (140°F) or more. Use a burner, chaffing dish with sterno, pizza warmer, or portable oven.
- Store all food off of the ground (at least 6 inches).
- Protect food by covering with a lid, plastic wrap, aluminum foil or wrap items individually.
- Use an approved sanitizer for food contact surfaces such as 100 ppm chlorine solution (½ teaspoon household bleach per litre water).
Food Safety Vaisakhi (Vancouver Coastal Health)
Please Read our Green Initiative for 2016!
Where can we get setup?
Space is on a first come first served basis. Most vendors have pre-determined space based on cooperation with a property owner or based on previous years of ‘past practice’. Other areas where you may find space for a small setup of a table and small tent (5′ x 5′) is in front of an empty store front in the Punjabi Market (49th to 51st ave on Main st). Please note, you may have to setup the night before to ensure space for your stall is reserved.
What time should we setup?
The procession of Vaisakhi is from 11am to approximately 5:30pm. However, with the open concept of the parade, people begin to visit the various vendors s early as 10:30am all along the parade route. The streets are also closed in sections and parking is restricted along the parade route from 7am to 6pm. It is advised that you setup by 9am for logistics. Parking is sometimes available on inside streets.
Where to buy Cambro for warm water for hand-wash stations
Russell Food Equipment 1255 Venables St, Vancouver, BC V6A 3X6, (604) 253-6611
Where to buy COMPOSTABLE plates and cups?